Thursday, May 26, 2011

Final Post

I read 2638 pages this semester. They were all fiction and from the same series of books called the Sword of Truth series.


In the beginning of the semester I would classify myself as a sporadic reader who goes periods of time without reading anything then finds a series or book he enjoys and rapidly progresses through the books and then has periods without reading again. An example of that is during on summer I did not read for 3 weeks then found a series called Dragonlance and read the triology  of 3 books all over 700 pages in about a week. Going into this class I was involved in a 11 book series called the Sword of Truth. Throughout the semester i continued reading this series, but I felt like I slowed my reading purposefully so that I would not hit over the week maximiums by that much, so I would not have to find a new series I was interested in. The blog as you go style was not conductive to how I read because over a long weekend I would read one of the books in the car, so then I spent weeks spreading out the blogs for that book trying to keep the posts around 50 pgs to not include too much of the book in one blog. By the end of the semester I was far ahead of my blogging posts and to get the last amount of one of the books in I had to increase the pg number of posts and finish with a long post. I read whenever I had down time or I got engaged in my book. I cannot read with music, so it was quite where I read. I feel like my reading habits have not changed and I just have more books that I looking into, so I might have less down time between books.
The class kinda changed my attitude toward's poetry because of how we did not necessarily have to find poems with a specific meaning and just liking the imagery was a good enough reason to present it. I also enjoyed how we could pick our own poetry because in other English classes you have to explore poems from older times periods which use old words or try to rhyme and have obscure meanings relating with history while in this class you could just find a poem that you likes for whatever reason and it could have whatever meaning you wanted and then you got to write about that. The way we analyzed poems was unique, but I think it helped develop a different set of writing skills which other English classes missed. The one thing I think the class surprised me about was the reading of the poetry in the tournament setting. I did not think that I would be able to do that well at all but it seemed that it was not as difficult as I stressed it to be.
I enjoyed my semester I Etymology for a variety of reasons. The classes seems to be a relaxed place and most of the assignments were picked or could be personalized by the students. The row of students I sat in enjoy there time in the class whatever the circumstances and even though we may not have focused 100% of the time most of us got what we needed done while having fun. Although some classes I with after-sight I might not have taken, I would have definitely taken Etymology again.

No comments:

Post a Comment